Monday, June 11, 2012



June 10, 2012
I am still adjusting to the 7,000 feet altitude.  It kind of tires me out, also it doesn’t help that Marv doesn’t seem to be affected and I try to semi keep up with him.  Of course, he takes longer naps than I do, so guess he is better at not showing the affects.
Yesterday we went to the northern part of the combined parks which is the June 8, 2012,  Kings  Canyon National Park.
I might not have internet, but I can keep the blog going until I can post.  We made it here about noon.  The drive from Bakersfield was really nice.  We pasted miles and miles of vineyards, almond groves and cows in large lots.  The road was a four lane state road with a 70mph speed limit.  I don’t know what they use as hedges between the north and south lanes, but they are sure pretty and tall.  Smell good too.
Just went to the visitors’ center this afternoon.  I am going to have to readjust to the altitude again.  We are over 6000 feet.  Tomorrow we are going to do some of the drives in Kings Canyon Park, see the General Grant  Grove, the Chicago Stump(they cut it down in 1889, and it was over 2000 years old) and other things.  Sunday we will probably do Sequoia National Park, then Monday pick up every place we haven’t gotten too.
The sun is shining, but it is very cool.  Needed a sweater when we went to the visitor’s center.  It is 7:00 in the evening and already 61 degrees.  The cool weather is really nice after 104 degrees.
That’s all for now.  Til later.  

Kings Canyon National Park.   We drove to Roads End.  And it is just what it says, the road just stops.  Kings Canyon is a canyon (duh) made by glaciers and the King River which is really a fast one.  I wouldn’t like to go down it any way, shape, or form.   The views are spectacular, hugh boulders, steep cliffs, and big trees.
We really didn’t do many walks on this trek, just getting in and out of the truck at the different viewpoints.  And taking pictures of the canyons, rivers, waterfalls, trees, and flowers, lots and lots of flowers.
Now for the pictures.  These are just a small percentage of the pictures taken.  I will post more on facebook.  And I don’t always remember what they are.   So bear with me.



That is what we did yesterday.  There were some trees, but mostly it was the canyon.  Today we went to the BIG trees.  We are camping in Kings Canyon National Park and today we went to Sequoia National Park.  Sorry if I am confusing anyone.  I had never heard of Kings Canyon National Park, but had heard of Sequoia. 
Anyway, when I say BIG trees, I mean really awesome trees.  We have been in the Redwoods,  and they are very impressive, but the Sequoias are really in a different class.  Love them.
We went on a two mile hike in the giant forest.  And we saw some Giants.  The General Sherman tree, which is the biggest living thing in the world.  Not the tallest, and not the biggest around, but the biggest in sheer volume.  At the end of the day, we took the shuttle down in the southern part of the park.  The road is really narrow and windy and Marv got to look too.  Nice drive, if someone else is doing it.    

Where I am won't let me download the pictures so that is for a later time. Tomorrow night when we are in civilization.  Til later.

No comments:

Post a Comment